Friday, October 9, 2009

another happy birthday

We are heading out tomorrow for a birthday party "camping" trip for my almost 5 year old lad. Despite how he is at least a full head taller than any other kid in his class, his asking me if I was "desperately tired" today when we were leaving the food store, or his beautiful new letter making skills, he is still my babe. Cliche, I know, I know. But when he laughs, it is still that toddler laugh that he is probably going to lose any minute now, and when he sleeps he seems so small and soft. Oooh, I love him! He actually turns 5 on Sunday, but I am having a moment now while the cake is in the oven (same cake that Ava had, only he wants his to say "If it weren't for you meddling kids..." on top) so I'll share.

Unlike Ava's full week of prep work and fun before her birthday, I only even started making lists today for Harry's. We are going to a State forest to run around in the woods, canoe in the lake, pretend we are in a Scooby Doo story (apparently), hit a pinata, then build ourselves a campfire and roast hot dogs and marshmallows. It will be great. I am hoping to have some sort of great woodsy game inspiration before noon tomorrow, so if anyone has a killer idea, let me know. He only wanted a few kids, which I was totally pleased about (but strangely had to keep biting my tongue about asking if he wanted to invite this or that friend).

Last week we gathered acorns and made these, and I thought it would be a great party craft- simple and super cute.


They are very easy to make. Simply gather some acorns, draw on a sweet face (Harry's is on the right) and knot a necklace string to the stem and secure with a dot of craft glue. I took off the cap on the above girl with hair, glued a bit of wool roving to the acorn top, then glued the cap back on. I even got to give her a haircut, which was very satisfying.

Happy weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Great. you helped make a wonderful boy by the sounds of it! enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i love you, miss tanya. how did your wee marathon go? dying to hear! I have some news too so let's meet for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole! Since you encouraged leaving a comment, even though I'm a total stranger, I thought I would. I landed here from Crafty Crow, and wanted to thank you for a very cute craft idea that my girls will love and doesn't involve me toting all three kids to Hobby Lobby to spend way more money than intended. Hurrah! Going to make it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and P.S., aren't you the person who wrote that article in FF about doing an alphabet photo walk? I think? Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Hannah, thanks for the comment. That piece in FF was mine. I am a crafter for that fab mag so you should see a lot of my stuff throughout, though not in the November issue, due to time off in August. I'm so glad you noticed :)! Keep coming back and comment away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK this is crazy but I just randomly found your acorn craft and I was shocked... The acorn with the hair looks EXACTLY like my mom! I'm not kidding, it's hilarious. Do you still have it? Could I buy it from you???

    johnmworley@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these, and I especially love the previous comment. I am an art teacher at an elementary school here in Tucson, Arizona... I would love to do these with the kids because I know they would love it. Unfortunately, we don't have acorns, aaah! Any alternative ideas, or ideas of where I could get some acorns?

    My coworker and I have started a new blog, too ... http://hausofoob.blogspot.com/ ...in need of much love and support. Any tips for starting a blog? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete